Tuesday, November 7, 2017

อเมริกาเป็นยังไงบ้าง: What's America Like?

ทุกวันนี้คนไทยและคนต่างชาติหลายคนถามผมว่า อเมริกาเป็นยังไงบ้างครับ คนหลายคนสนใจเพราะพวกเขาได้ยินว่าเกี่ยวกับเหตุการณ์ยิงปืนเยอะที่โน่น คนส่วนมากสงสัยว่าอเมริกาไม่ปลอดภัยและอันตรายด้วยครับ ปกติแอนดี้ตอบว่าที่อเมริกาคนชอบมีปืน คนบางคนก็ถือปืนตลอดเวลาด้อยครับ

ตั้งแต่อาทิตย์ทีผ่านมาทุกครั้งผมคุยกับพ่อแม่ที่อเมริกาพวกเขาบอกว่าเกิดเหตุการณ์ยิงปืนใหม่ครับ ทุกครั้งแอนดี้อ่านข่าวก็มีรายงานใหม่ที่อธิบายเหตุการณ์ยิงปืนด้วย น่าสงสารมากๆครับ ในความจริงแอนดี้รู้สึกปลอดภัยก่วาตอนอยู่ที่เมืองไทย ที่นี้คนหลายคนไม่ถือปืนเลย ในข่าวที่นี้ไม่มีรายงานเหมื่อนกับที่อเมริกาครับ

อเมริกามีปัณหาใหญ่มากๆกับปืนครับ คนหลายคนไม่อยากเปลี่นใจหรือรู้ตัวที่มีปัณหาครับ จนถึงคนเปลี่ยนใจสำหรับปืนคนเยอะจะยังตายทุกวันด้วยเหตุการณ์ยิงปืนซึ้งไม่มีความรู้สึกครับ

For the past number of days, many Thai people and other international travelers that I meet keep asking me about America. They seem concerned that it is a violent place that they don't want to visit. They usually mention the president, the shootings and the new laws that appear to be against people from other places going there.

I usually don't have specific answers, aside from saying that there are probably as many (if not more) guns than people in America and I don't agree with a lot of the policies that are now being instituted in the country. As a temporary ex-pat here in Thailand, I can't really blame everyone for their concerns about and views of America. The news from back home has been completely sad and grim as of late. Each time I talk to my parents, there are endless reports of new gun violence that has taken the lives of innocent people. Most of these events could have been prevented if legislative action was taken to address the ownership of guns instead of waiting to offer empty condolences and lip-service to the symptoms of the cycle of violence in America.

I was talking to another American here at the guesthouse last night and we had a pretty good conversation about what we think are the underlying problems in America. We came to agree that violence perpetuates itself mainly through greed and fear; through greed exploitation of "others" is permissible, but through fear marginalization of "others" still creates violence and separation. So, there is a constant tension of conflicting motivations in economic and social life. Of course, not all Americans share these beliefs, but in the international news, this is what people see.

To me, violence and conflict as food for the body will only lead to actions in kind. In a country that further recognizes an inalienable human right as ownership of a weapon created for only one thing, killing, is it any wonder that shootings are sadly so commonplace? Before I left the US, a few people asked me if I would be safe in Thailand. I can now say, without a doubt, that this a question each American needs to ask themselves about America. Are we safe? Is there an end to this cycle of violence?

Instead of exclusionary religious and social groups based on perceived similarities (and sometimes even blatant hate), the country that self-proclaims "in God we trust" needs to dig a little deeper into universal love for fellow beings to inform policies to save innocent lives.

Guns kill. People kill. Violence kills. Love and acceptance nurture. Doesn't seem like a difficult choice to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment