I am in the Taipei airport on my return trip from Thailand, I am not sure what day it is but I am going to post this story now and hopefully another on the next flight or in LA as wi-fi permits. I have a bunch of ideas that I won't get to fit into the 108 tales, which is obviously a testament to the many very memorable years shared with Laika. Today's story involves Laika and her old pal Heisa.
Laika and Heisa were partners in crime, they were also kind of an accidental comedy duo as well. One of their best acts was dubbed "blinkers" by Elaina and I. Whenever something exciting was happening, both pup became blurs of tail wagging. Since both had substantial whip-action, this could present a bit of a problem as they jockeyed for position to be closer to treats or the opening door or a desired toy, etc. Their solution: whichever was in the rear wouldn't didn't do anything to avoid the other's tail except to blink really hard when it came close to their face. A simple solution; a hilarious solution.
Elaina and I would laugh endlessly at their dopey blinking, which usually occurred just beyond the reach of the offending tail. I came up with a pretty good impression that, while amusing, paled in comparison to real deal. Laika continued this practice long after Elaina and Heisa moved out, too. If she was nearby while I was jumping rope, she would position herself millimeters beyond the reach of the rope, laying on the ground and blinking along with the rhythm of its swinging. It was almost hard to keep from laughing at her mix of leisure and extreme concentration.
Just thinking about this is still really hilarious. It was a very special skill that Laika and Heisa shared. It was also one of the subtle quirks that made taking care of Laika endlessly entertaining.
No comments:
Post a Comment