Laika's canine teeth lasted a long time, given the testing they went through on a regular basis. She would chew almost any toy until it was destroyed and any crunchy treat was met as an eager challenge. Ice cubes, in fact, where one of her favorite treats.
I never thought that Laika would be so fond of water in frozen form! Realizing this kind of came as an accident, when I dropped some ice on the floor and she immediately grabbed it and took it back to her bed to munch with extreme joy, tail wagging as bits of crushed ice fell from her mouth and littered her blankets. She could not have been more happy.
Her love of ice only increased with time. Her ears would perk-up at the sound of the freezer opening and she would fly into ecstatic wigging as the ice cube tray was cracked. Upon receiving her "treat" she would always retreat to a small rug or her bed to enjoy the cold crunchy cube. She wouldn't always eat all of it, but she just loved chewing it.
It was a perfect treat, as it was more or less free, something she could destroy and something I didn't have to worry about cleaning-up, other than a little water. I am not sure if it had a negative effect on her teeth, but I suspect not more than anything else, really. Depriving her of such simple joy was not really an option, though; except in the immediate aftermath of her broken teeth, that is.
I actually have a theory that she liked to eat cold things. Tomorrow, I'll offer more decisive evidence to support this!
No comments:
Post a Comment