When I was a kid, I remember feeling sick sometimes but when my parents took me to the doctor my symptoms mysteriously disappeared. As a dog dad, this didn't happen too often except during the last year. The episode of the mystery cough, which thankfully happened only once, was pretty epic, I would say.
During Laika's break from chemo to clear up her allergy issues, she needed to have an endoscopy to figure out if the cancer or treatments were detrimental to her belly. It turns out that it was just food allergies, but they were still pretty brutal. A full-on change of diet was necessary, which helped her immediately. However, a few days after the test, Laika developed a very troubling, constant cough. It kept us both up at night, even.
So, a trip to the emergency vet was necessary. I thought it might be an irritation from the scope, but wanted to make sure. Given that it was a Saturday afternoon, the whole place was mobbed, so after Laika's initial exam we waited in a private room for several hours. The entire time, Laika did not cough one time. In fact, she seemed quite chipper and wanted to sit on my lap or parade around the room like nothing was wrong. She even got really excited upon hearing one of her favorite oncology techs talking in the hallway.
The vet who saw us was very nice and noted that Laika was not actively coughing, but was exhibiting a lower than normal blood-oxygen level. It was suggested that she stay for observation overnight. I agreed and went back later to bring food and treats for Laika (and the vet staff). Laika was so excited to see me and wanted to go home. She pulled-out her oxygen tube about 3 times, at least. It was good to see her so feisty, but also sad because the oxygen tubes were loosely sutured to her nose! I had no idea, but like usual, she didn't seem to care.
The next day, I was informed that Laika was ready to come home, but she still had not coughed for anyone there. So, I picked up the tired pup and she snoozed the whole way home and went into a deep sleep as soon as we arrived...only to wake up an hour later with the hacking, persistent cough! I immediately called the emergency vet and they told me to bring her back. I secretly think that they thought I was lying!
On the way there, she stopped coughing! Luckily, when the tech was examining her, she let loose a flurry of hacking. At last, someone heard it! I felt vindicated. The same vet then saw Laika, but with no more coughing. At least the tech could vouch for it! So, it was determined that Laika had either and infection or kennel cough from her time during the procedure earlier that week. Sad, indeed, but mystery solved and illness addressed!
Everyone there thought it was hilarious that Laika hid the cough so successfully. The great actress was better in no time, which was a great relief to everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment