Opening the zippered bag to destroy the shruti box was no big deal for Laika. Years before, she had done something similar to help herself to some treats. In that case, though, the outcome also led to a peroxide cocktail and a trip to the vet!
One nice summer day about 7 years ago, I was riding my bike to get lunch and was almost t-boned in an intersection by a driver that had decided to disregard the light that had been red for at least 6 seconds or more. They came to a screeching halt about a foot away from me. Someone in another car asked if I was ok, to which I replied, "Yes, but I just saw my life flash before eyes...and it was so boring." We both laughed and I went on my way, a bit shaken but ok. Laika must've sensed my joke and decided to spice things up a bit with some mischief!
Upon arriving home in the evening, I was greeted by a guilty-looking Laika wagging her tail while trying to conceal an empty bag of trail mix! I quickly surveyed the scene and realized that she had gotten it by unzipping my gym bag and then ripping-off the rubber band to enjoy the crunchy contents. The main problem was that there were also many raisins in the bag, which are potentially toxic for dogs! She was not happy as I fed her some peroxide to toss up her belly contents, a practice we hadn't had to employ for several years.
At first, it didn't seem to help...then she proceeded to shuffle sadly around the house, barfing foamy trail mix blobs on any surface she could get to. I tried to usher her outside, but to no avail. The puke pyrotechnics lasted almost an hour. As soon as they were over, Laika's tail started up again and she made it known that she was hungry. Obviously, back to normal!
Still, I was worried about the raisin intake and possible renal failure from it. Apparently, as I was told by the emergency vet when I called, the reaction is not based on amount eaten and dog weight, so it could be potentially risky even if just one raisin is eaten. So, I took Laika for a test at the vet the next day. $90 and a short wait later, the results were...inconclusive! Laika seemed fine, but I was told to come back again to do the test. I asked if the effects would already be drastic from the consumption if she were to have a problem and the answer was "yes." So, I guess that was money well-spent, without needing another test!
Laika and I both survived our traumatic day and lived to tell about it. Things were not boring, after all. But, there was another peroxide caper that happened s few years ago...
No comments:
Post a Comment