Saturday, November 4, 2017

Story 88: It's a Wrap

Over the last few months of Laika's life, she had some unfortunate accidents inside the house due to her treatments and medicines. She always felt guilty, so I didn't try to draw attention to it. She was trying her best, but sometimes it was just too much to handle. However, she maintained her smarts throughout it all, as it was more of an intermittent problem.

When she would poop in the house, she actually always did it on one of the small rugs and not directly on the floor. This was her way of playing by the rules, which also made cleanup a bit easier for me, as well. Laika was sick, but also trying to be considerate.

She then raised it up a level. Not only would she have the accident on a rug, but she would then wrap it in the rug, as well! This was usually done by rolling it up or folding it neatly into thirds. The first time I came home to discover this, I was confounded, because it was so neatly done. Also, she happened to decorate the one rug I was about to dispose of anyway. How nice of her! The last full day we were together, she did this one final time to help in the cleanup. I could tell at that point that her body, but not her spirit was failing.

Laika was truly a wonder-dog. Even in the face of doing something that she felt guilty about, she continued exhibiting a sort of thoughtfulness to try to make it right. She was unique and perfectly imperfect in all tbe best ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment