Friday, November 24, 2017

Story 108: Reflections; A List

So, we have finally arrived at the 108th story. One full trip around the mala; one cycle finished, another about to begin. This is how life works. One action leads to another, one story links to another. The endless flow of memories are like that, too. Over the course of these last 3 months, these stories have not only been a way for me to pay homage and memorial to my dearly departed, beloved companion, but also a way for me to turn all of the knowledge that Laika imparted in me throughout her life into actual wisdom.

On the plane yesterday, I was watching a wonderful video that someone put together about the mystical Indian poet Kabir. There is one quote that stuck with me, "if you have not lived through something, it is not true." I can safely say that without spending over a decade of our lives together, that Laika and I both wouldn't have realized the truths of compassion and selfless love. Yes, I miss her everyday, especially after returning from a long trip to a house that is devoid of her presence, but nothing can last forever. Greetings and partings should both be treated with the same respect and joy, as they are bookends to experiences that through reflection can lead to personal and spiritual growth as well as realizations of life's hidden truths. Laika was a teacher, and these stories are a testament to the lessons I now more fully understand.

I was wondering what the best way to write this last story would be, as I still have a list of exciting, sad and brave tales of Big Baby's life. The flow of these stories was sometimes planned and sometimes influenced by other more coincidences that reminded me of sometime deep in my memories that suddenly came clearly back in vivid color. So, I will take this idea from the movie Because of Winn-Dixie, which I just watched tonight for the first time with my parents, brother and nephew during our day after Thanksgiving gathering. In the movie, which was actually really good, a few characters make lists of 10 things they remember about loved ones who are missing in some way. At the end of the movie, Winn-Dixie comes back, as does the joy in the many characters' lives. Laika came back bravely hundreds of times during her sometimes hard life of battling cancer and other ailments, always with tail wagging and love to spread. I never constructed such a list, but after writing all of these stories, I am going to try. Here are 10 things that I will always remember about her:

1. Laika lived each day of her life bravely, even in the face of the unknown and obvious suffering. Her spirit and strength were, and still are, constant inspiration.

2. She had friends and admirers everywhere. She constantly showed that giving unconditional love and being around those who love in return is where true joy comes from.

3. Laika could adapt to any situation. Her life was a model for taking the hand she was dealt, sniffing it, and then resuming her tail wagging.

4. She showed that with right effort and conditions, even the seemingly worst habits can be transformed. (See Story 25.)

5. Laika was always happy to eat. It was potentially the greatest joy in her life. This was a never ending joy, too, as she was also always hungry!

6. She found ways to break the rules in ways that didn't really break the rules, which is a testament to her (sometimes too) clever problem solving skills.

7. Laika learned one trick. She turned that trick into a treat-getting joke, which somehow became an even better trick...which was still the same trick as before. Yes, a true magician. (See Story 32.)

8. She was a loyal and fearless protector (except against creaky doors and fireworks).

9. Laika turned mischief into a complete art form, redefining the meaning of the word through her creative and active mind. (See pretty much every story.) 

10. She was a true, quirky goofball who lived each day radiating excitement and joy. Her wiggly body, whiskered kisses and (sometimes dangerous) wagging tail were not just behaviors, they were extensions of her soul; her smallest and greatest gifts to the world.

Is this post a story? Probably not, in the traditional sense at least. It is, however, a tale that is ongoing as I continue to live this life that I was lucky enough to share with Laika, another being who gave to me more than I know I gave to her. I could easily write 108 more stories or list another 10 memorable things about her, but it still wouldn't be enough to convey how profoundly Miss Laika affected my life. I am forever changed and blessed by meeting her and for the opportunity to care for her through both good and bad. I now know that love doesn't need to start at greetings and cease at endings. Love exists always, it is the essence of all things.

Thank you Laika, I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment