Friday, November 17, 2017

Story 101: The Fearful Noise

Laika's dislike of loud noises has already been discussed at length. However, there was one noise that created such a textbook look of surprise and fear that she could have easily been cast as a bit actor in any number of Halloween movies. Like jinkees, I just realized that her face resembled Scooby Doo's reaction in pretty much every episode! Luckily, the fear would pass pretty quickly, as she would usually realize what was making the noise.

My previous house was not haunted, as far as I know...though I may or may not have seen a floating ghost in my room one time. Still, given that I kept my bedroom door and windows open most of the time, there was always a chance that some invisible force (most likely wind) would slowly shut the door with a low, eerie creaking noise. Upon hear this, Laika would stop whatever she was doing perk her ears up and open her eyes as wide as possible. This was usually accompanied by some of her hair standing on end and a shiver or two passing through her body. If I was around, she would move to sit directly on me or run downstairs, with her tail wagging as soon as the reaction passed. I am not sure what she would do if I was away, but I assume she would just go downstairs.

It was always sad to see her afraid of this noise, but as she recovered quickly I was able to laugh about it. Every time it happened, I would picture her in a scary movie with the suspense slowly building to a soundtrack of creaking doors and faint piano music. Needless to say, I wish I had a video of her reaction. But, the replays in my mind are good enough to recall her excellent acting skills that few knew about but me!

No comments:

Post a Comment