Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Story 99: Reckless Runner

I have already told a few stories about Laika becoming a wrecking ball at the dog park. This story, however, takes place in my old apartment, when she would recklessly tear up and down the hallway as if it were a runway and she was cleared for takeoff! Combined with the after bath crazies, this could be devastating for me.

At some point in time, we developed a game that I dubbed "dog goalie" in which I would try to block Laika from passing me in the hallway. This wasn't done with force, just body position, and it also involved massaging and rubbing her as she would squeeze past me against the wall. Needless to say, it was one of her early favorite pastimes. She would smile and wiggle and emit joyous growls constantly while playing. Also, she always won.

However, one side effect was that she would sometimes dash down the hall if she thought it was "game on," even if that wasn't the case. One such time, I was minding my own business when she decided it was time to play. I heard a loud scampering sound of paws on carpet and suddenly wham I was laying on the floor with some mild shin pain and a wiggling puppy proudly licking my face. I was laughing, but definitely had been steam-rolled by the reckless runner! In case you were wondering, Laika had a pretty hard head!

Although "dog goalie" continued to be played, it added a new element of danger to being in the hallway, which was kind of fun! In fact, sometimes gymnastic feats of avoidance were necessary to jump over Laika's enthusiastic charging. These involved using hands and feet pressed against the walls to suspend myself over the runway! What fun! As she got older, the wildness curtailed, but we would still sometimes tear around the second floor of the old house (after we moved)...I would be chasing her, though. It was still great exercise and less pain for my shins!

No comments:

Post a Comment