Tuesday, November 14, 2017

หายตัวเองกับตัวอื่นด้วย: Self-Healing & Healing Others Together

ช่วงนี้แอนดี้ไปนวดทุกวันครับ ที่อเมริกาไปแบบนี้เพาระว่าแพงมากๆ น่าสงสารจริงจัง ทุกครั้งผมไปนวดร่างกายและจิตใจรู้สึกดีขึ้นด้วย คิดว่าเป็นวิธีการหายที่ดีที่สุดครับ

อาทีตย์ที่แล้วแอนดี้ได้คุยกับคนอเมริกาที่เป็นหมอนวดที่โน่น เขาเคยเป็นนักกีฮาแต่เลิกเพราะว่าร่างกายเขาปวดตลอดเวลา เขาต้องไปนวดเพื่อดีขึ้น หลังจากนั้นเขารู้ตัวว่าเขาอยากกลายเป็นหมอนวด เพราะว่าอยากช้วยคนอื่นที่ไม่สบายครับ เขาก็บอกว่านวดคนอื่นหายตัวเองด้วย

ตอนนี้แอนดี้เห็นด้วยจริงๆ ผมคิดว่าหมอนวดหลายคนที่เมืองไทยมีความสุขและสุขภาพแข็งแรงเพราะว่าพวกเขาช่วยคนอื่นตลอดเวลา ผมก็อยากเรียนนวดและการแพทย์สมุนไพรเพื่อหายตัวเองกับตัวอื่นด้วย อย่างนี้ที่ดีที่สุดให้ผมรับใช้พระเจ้าที่อยู่ในจิตใจทุกสิ่งมีชีวิต

For some reason I didn't get any massages the first first week I was here. Gradually, I started getting more and more. I have been getting one everyday for the past week and, well, I feel great. Combined with the Ruesii Datton (Thai yoga), I feel like my body is finally getting less stiff in general. Granted, this will be a long process, but as a runner and Muay Thai practitioner, I am finally realizing the error of too much hard exercise/training. Joi, my massage doctor here, has been amazing and taught me, sometimes without words, the extent of healing through massage.

Last week, I talked to an American massage therapist at the Muay Thai gym who used to be a college football player. He suffered some injuries and when his pro career didn't work out, he turned his efforts to helping others through massage, as he had been helped before. He noted that through these practices of healing others, his own body started to heal through the massage work. This was echoed by my friend Aya who has been a massage therapist in Japan and elsewhere for over 7 years. Massage is a dual healing process that uses energy to balance and heal both the practitioner and the receiver.

I can vouch for this. It was always in front of my face when receiving Thai massages here, but I couldn't place the exact feeling. The connection is not just physical, the channels of healing are deeper and more subtle. The energy and intention of the massage doctor guides and supports not only my healing, but also their own. There is a hidden quality in a good massage that exists beyond merely the physical realm. Additionally, there are qualities beyond knowledge of body mechanics and medical systems that special therapists are able to effectively utilize to heal the mind and spirit as well.

Realizing this has opened my eyes to the possibilities of massage and herbal medicine as a platform for spiritual service. All living beings feel pain and pleasure, but in physical and mental distress usually turn to the help of doctors. Being human is to relate to this pain; taking it a step further can inspire working to serve both others and the innate Self in alleviating it. This is why I want to return to study the Thai arts of healing.

At the beginning of each massage, the therapist prays to invoke the guidance of Jivaka, the doctor of the Buddha and patron saint of Thai medicine. Such a simple meditation for goodwill of the patient and the doctor also works to sublimate the ego of the practitioner while inviting a deeper exchange of healing and true loving-kindness. My recent experiences and knowledge received from others, has proven that well-being is a two-way practice...and it is time for me to learn the skills to give back in a meaningful and compassionate way. What better way to give to live?

No comments:

Post a Comment