Thursday, November 16, 2017

Story 100: The Short Welcome Home

Yesterday, I talked to one of my friends here in Bangkok for the first time in months. She had previously lived in Pittsburgh and was quite a fan of Laika, and vice versa. She was obviously really sad about the news of Laika's passing and so was I while telling her. It got me thinking about going back to Pittsburgh to a Laika-less greeting, which was usually the best, though shortest, part of readjusting to "normal" life.

During the time I took care of Big Baby, I had been on tour or in Thailand for about 5 months, spread over 10 years. So, not a long time, but since it was usually a whole month at a time, Laika was able to get a vacation out of it, too. According to her caretakers, especially Chris and Steph who lovingly took her into their pack of misfit brindle pitbull mixes, she never really seemed to miss me...meaning, she was very comfortable in her surroundings and didn't get freaked-out that I was gone. Though a creature of routine, she was very adaptable when attention, love and treats were involved!

Since her part of the vacation usually involved spending a lot of time with other pups, it also meant a lot of playing and not as much time to herself. So, when I came home from my part of the vacation, she would not only be excited to see me, but she would also be ready to go back to her life as the Queen of the house! As such, when we would reunite, it would be short and sweet. Usually, her tail would start wagging at propeller-like velocities, her eyes wide almost in disbelief that I was there. This was reciprocated, of course, because being without my constant companion during my trips left a void, despite being so far away from her.

After several minutes of parading, wiggling and trying to steal kisses, Laika would usually just crash next to me on the couch, snoring loudly and contently almost immediately. All of this would take less than 5 minutes! The first time she did this, I was confused, but each subsequent time I realized that it was her way of settling back into the routine of being together and letting me know that she missed me without showing it to my friends who took care of her.

Not sure how it will feel to return this time. Without her waiting, I am more or less being greeted by an empty room in my house. Still, just thinking of her warm, short and sweet greetings is enough to bring a smile to my face, even though it will never happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment