About 8 years ago (toward the end of my time booking concerts), I did a show for two touring bands from the Pacific NW (I think Olympia, WA). Combined, I think there were about 8 or so members, but it was no problem to accommodate them in my apartment. My roommate was not there and had given permission for guests to stay in their bedroom. (Granted, I once had 15 people stay in my old apartment long ago!) Before we got to my house, I let everyone know that Laika was there and she was very friendly, especially with women. They were excited to meet her, because, well, they were all animal lovers. (Honestly, one of the best parts of being on tour is hanging out with the many dogs and cats along the way!)
Laika was so stoked to see everyone. Her body was shaking and her tail was a blur. She quickly made the rounds of rubbing herself on everyone and giving kisses to her new friends. Needless to say, the love was reciprocated. As usual, Laika was the center of attention. She couldn't have been happier! After taking her out, I went to the kitchen to start making food for my guests. Meanwhile, Laika made herself comfortable, playing and hanging out with her many new best friends.
As the evening progressed, I saw less and less of her running around the apartment like usual. On one trip into the living room, I noticed that she had parked herself on the couch, snuggled-up next to one of the ladies in the band called Lake who was laying down. Laika was practically on top of her, keeping a watchful eye. I wasn't sure if this was something the lady appreciated, so I asked if she minded or if she wanted me to ask Laika to get down. (Laika could sometimes be a little too focused on being with her chosen people.) The woman laughed and said that she wasn't feeling well and Laika had actually been keeping a vigil next to her for the previous hour or so. She said she was really appreciative of the attention, plus Laika's cuddling was keeping her nice and warm....and made her feel better, too! (Laika certainly wasn't part Heeler...but maybe actually part "healer"?)
I was surprised that with all the other distractions and new people Laika had noticed one new person not feeling well and wanted to do what she could to help! Although Laika's version of nursing was simply "being there" with her patient, it was more than enough to be effective. The healing vigil continued into the night, until her new friend fell asleep. Then, Nurse Laika slept soundly in my room until it was time to check on her patient again in the morning! Everyone was pretty astounded with the concern she exhibited for someone she had just met. I was impressed and would see this compassion resurface time and time again throughout the rest of Laika's life as she gave full attention to helping others in times of illness and distress.
Dramatic reenactment of the scene with Elaina and Heisa (partially buried under Laika).

I've never seen that photo! DOGS ON THE COUCH!
ReplyDelete