I just spent the better part of 2 hours writing the post that I've been wanting to write for about 5 days. I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but luckily it doesn't matter, because my tablet froze while it was saving and most of it is lost. Probably a sign it is better left unpublished. So, I have a quick little parable of sorts to share...
My current room in Chiang Mai has a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains. I can even see the lights of the temple Wat Doi Sutep at night, glowing against the background of dark forests and sky. Being on the second floor, I also have a view of the low metal roof of the next door building, which occasionally harbors a sleeping cat, but always an old, forgotten pair of underwear discolored from rain and dirt. At first, this ruined the view, despite not even being in the field of vision of the towering, silent hills above. The more I pondered why this was, I came to realize it as concrete evidence that the mind constantly searches and attaches to material imperfections instead of higher nature. After simply accepting that the soiled briefs are there, I no longer give them any thought. The underwear was not the problem, my mind's reaction was. I guess anything can be a means of practice when you want it to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment