Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Story 58: Bed Stories Pt. 2 - The Solutions

Foam mattresses and beds didn't stand a chance against Laika. It was only a matter of time until they were torn-up by her routine, diligent digging. In combination with a short stint of accidents from her medication, her beds were retired one-by-one over the past year. As luck would have it, my mom and I were able to create a bed that Laika seemed to like and I also purchased a few that remained unscathed, despite heavy use.

Solution 1: The Towel-Bed



This bed was a dual solution for digging and any liquid "spills" (which Laika was very upset about each time). Since the foam beds couldn't be cleaned properly, I devised this design and my mom's expert sewing skills executed it perfectly. It was really simple, just two interlocking large pillowcases, which my mom made from an old sheet, filled with layers of folded, old towels. Given the lack of foam, Laika didn't have the urge to dig into it. Additionally, if any accidents occurred, I could easily wash the covers and all of the towels. Certainly, it was not as soft as some of Laika's other beds, but she liked to lay on it while I was downstairs and it was a nice "lookout spot" for her, because of the view of the backdoor. As seen in other photos, with a few blankets on top, this bed became a certifiable Laika-nest in no time. This bed was a surprising success. I wish we would have made it earlier on, but I am glad Laika enjoyed sleeping on it!

Solution 2: The Lounger



I actually had heard about these "lounger" beds for years, but was skeptical that Laika would actually like one. A friend of mine told me that his dog Demon was also a compulsive bed-wrecker that took quickly and non-violently to the lounger. I figured I would give it a shot, since it was hot this past summer and the hammock-style of this bed would probably be cooler for Laika. It didn't hurt that I got one on super-sale.

As I was setting it up, Laika was curious, but a little tentative to try it once it was ready. I put several of her blankets on it to entice her. Finally, she gingerly climbed on it and laid-down (mostly to make me happy, I think). Laika was usually more adventurous with climbing on new things, especially beds, so I figured this might be a failure. When I came home from work that evening, though, she was on the bed, sound asleep! In fact, she didn't even want to stop sleeping on it come up to bed that night! To say that she liked the bed was an understatement. As can be gleaned from the photo, it was extremely comfortable for her and she spent a lot of time...um...lounging on it.

I quickly ordered another one for the house and she then had two nice new beds to use. These were a key addition to Laika's last few months, because they were supportive, cool and easy to clean/disinfect. Again, I wish I would have purchased these earlier in her life, but to know that she was happy and comfortable for her last few months was a relief. The lounger was a perfect solution for Big Baby Bed Wrecker.

After Laika's passing, I had to dispose of all of her soft bedding and clothes, due to the chemotherapy. However, these lounger beds have been completely sanitized and stored in the basement, waiting for another furry companion to potentially join me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment