Laika was a semi-large lady at around 63 lbs or so. She could compact herself to a tiny ball when necessary, but usually she stretched out to take up the maximum amount of space possibly. This was fine, except in two instances that surgeries left her incapacitated and confined to a small place.
The first time came after a string of surgeries. First, I found a new mast cell tumor on her leg. Then, right after that surgery healed, her original back tumor recurred. So, two weeks later, her back was stitched-up again, but constantly weeping a bit from the end of the scar. Still, was a total trooper and healed-up ok despite the problems wrapping the area well.
The next stop was the oncologist and then the surgeon, who recommended that each surgery areas both be revised to achieve better margins. The result was Big Baby needing to be confined to a small, gated area. At the time, the only part of the house suitable for this was the tiny entryway to my room. After removing the door and putting up several tall metal baby gates, the area was ready. At about 3 ft by 4 ft, it wasn't ideal, but Laika made herself at home as best she could. I lived alone at the time and when I wasn't home my parents would come to sit with her, as she laid for almost two weeks in a drug-induced haze. I had to carry her up and down the stairs every time she went out, which was hard with her two sutured areas. She was the best patient, though. The two weeks flew by (just kidding), and I hoped this wouldn't happen again!
Fast forward two years and Laika had a large tumor growing on her ankle. It was benign, but still needed to be removed or else it would affect the joint. So, another surgery with a splint and soft cast...and solitary confinement for two weeks. I was again carrying her everywhere and even had to support her with a sling to help her walk outside. If anything, our previous arrangement made it easier in some ways, but she was still being her same old gold star patient self. Until, of course, she decided to break out...
No comments:
Post a Comment