Monday, October 23, 2017

Story 76: Tooth Fairy Tales Pt. 1

Laika had a strong bite. She tested the strength of toys, antlers and all crunchy foods with reckless abandon. Later in life, this would take it's toll on her canine teeth, resulting in several visits to the dentist. Luckily, our Tooth Fairy in this tale (me) had pet insurance for her.

The first of our two trips to the dentist had a mysterious origin. At a routine check-up a few years ago, The vet discovered that Laika's top right canine tooth was slightly shattered and starting to split! Not sure how I missed seeing it, but I suspect it happened earlier that day as a result of constant wear and tear from life. We were referred to the dentist, who took one look and said it needed to be extracted. Having gone through various cancer surgeries before, I braced for the worst. Laika was none the wiser. The tooth didn't seem to bother her, but in its current state, the risk of infection was high.

The surgery was done that day and Laika was home in no time. She didn't seem to be bothered by it, but she did have a number of stitches in her gum. I was given the removed tooth and it was huge, despite more than half of the previously visible part being broken off! I didn't realize how much of the canine is below the gum. I felt bad for Big Baby, but as soon as she could eat again, she was back to her normal, goofy self.

Of all her surgical procedures, this was one of the easier ones for both of us. It also prepared me for our second, more epic trip to the dentist the following year. But that, as they say, is another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment