Monday, October 9, 2017

Story 63: Hot Dog - Hot Weather Chronicles

In cold weather, a front row seat near the fire was Laika's favorite spot. Even though it made her, quite literally, a hot dog, she loved it! In warm weather, she actually liked more of the same. Anytime there was a patch of sunlight, Laika could be found basking happily!


My parents have a lot of windows in their house. When temperatures were too high for the fireplace to be used, Laika would turn her attention to seeking warm spots of carpet to relax on. This was pretty entertaining to watch, as the angles of the sunlight would change throughout the day. So, Laika would doze for a bit then wake-up in the shadows and quickly relocate to a better, hotter location. Looking back on this habit of hers, I am beginning to think that she was actually solar-powered!


She did this at my house, too. However, there were only windows on two sides (as I lived in a row house), so there were less possible spots for her to actively chase the sunlight. Still, she was able to find lots of places to recharge her body; sometimes heating it beyond a natural level! She didn't seem to care about that, though. She just loved being warm...constantly turning and readjusting to make sure that she sunned herself on all sides.


Even in the hottest weather, Laika would want to lay directly in the sun when I would let her outside. I couldn't understand why she wanted to be so warm, but relaxing on the hot concrete was one of her favorite summer activities! It was as if she was a lizard on a heat rock. She would happily walk outside and plop-down on the ground, ready to chill...I mean...bake in the sunlight. Given the fact that she had a lot of exposed skin on her back, on extremely hot days, I would sometimes apply some sunscreen under her shirt to prevent burning if we were going to be outside for more than a few minutes. I also made sure to keep her sun exposure to a minimum, because, well, she was not so good at the moderation thing.

Having a warm, happy pup was wonderful. It was too bad that she wasn't able to lay around in the grass, though. As it turns out, she was a very sensitive lady...

No comments:

Post a Comment