Sunday, October 1, 2017

Story 55: Fashion Files: Jumpsuit or Coveralls?


I figure this might be a good one to just start with the photo. Sure, Laika looks quite stylish, but this trend didn't catch on as my mom had planned. In fact, right after our canine model hit the runway, she quickly hung her new threads in the back of closet.

First off, I am not really even certain if this was a jumpsuit or coveralls. I just looked at human fashions online and still can't figure it out. So, I guess I will just describe what Laika is modeling. This was a one-piece faux velour "suit" with holes for all of Laika's legs, a velcro closure on her chest and an opening over her belly, which was supposed to apparently allow for going #1 easily. However, the hole was sort of in the "danger zone" of getting wet if Laika were to try to go pee. This was the first design flaw. Additionally, the fabric in the "seat" area was pretty tight over her posterior and, as can be seen, affected her tail wag significantly. This was the second design flaw, which, coincidentally, would also have affected her going #2.  How convenient that each flaw had a clear connection with the corresponding number of the bodily function!

On the positive side, the colors were nice and muted. I always liked seeing Laika in pink (and purple) and the gray accents were a nice complement as well. In fact, maybe this was actually a jogging suit or tracksuit? I am still not sure. On a cold day, I could see an older Laika loving this garment, but that was not the purpose for my mom's attempt to get her to wear it.

When Laika was still a young'un, my parents had moved to a new house. By "new," I mean actually new...like just built. So, for the first many months, Laika was not allowed to visit for various reasons. Firstly, my dad has a very bad allergy to dog dander. Our old dog Buddy was a Bichon, so he was definitely more hypoallergenic than Laika. Secondly, all of the carpet was both light colored and clean, a fact that was in stark contrast to Big Baby's lifestyle of mud puddle lounging. However, as Laika got older and less predisposed to dirt, I was able to bring her to visit my parents for short visits.

In order to combat the potential for fur-shedding and traveling filth, Laika would be given a bath a few hours before we would visit. Additionally, she would wear her wizard robe in the house at all times. She was ok with this and liked to roll around on the carpet while chewing the rope or Kong that my parents kept for her. The expansive and open living room was a nice change from the smaller, cluttered apartment, too. It was nice to finally be able to bring her to visit and my parents loved seeing her (despite the extra Benadryl my dad would take to prepare for Laika's visit).

The photo in question was (most likely) taken the first time we stayed overnight for Christmas. Given the extended duration of our stay, my mom thought the jumpsuit (or coveralls?) might help control Laika's shedding. Laika was cautiously curious about the possible new addition to her mock velour wardrobe, but, upon trying it on, she became stiff as a board and unhappily modeled for us. You can tell from her body-language in the photo that she was not quite herself; drooping ears, no tail in sight. The whole scene reminded me of when Ralphie wore the pink rabbit suit in A Christmas Story (to remain topical here).

I felt bad for Laika. My mom did, too, especially after I pointed-out the #1 and #2 design flaws that might make the suit less than hygienic. During the 5 minutes that Laika wore it, she seemed seriously disappointed, confused and downtrodden; enough so, that she was quickly and mercifully released from the constricting article. Immediately, she returned to her old self, cavorting around the house with rope in mouth and rolling on the carpet to her heart's content. In talking with my parents, a compromise was reached: Laika would just wear the hoodie and my dad would take more Benadryl. Seemed fair to all parties! Luckily, Laika was not subjected to the coveralls (or jumpsuit?) again. While I am happy that photographic evidence of this fashion shoot exists, we were both happy that this style didn't become a permanent trend!

No comments:

Post a Comment