Laika had perfected the art of burrowing. She would kneed and pull and push (and sometimes tear) all types soft bedding (blanket, sleeping bag, comforter) to achieve maximum warmth and comfort; using all of her limbs, including head and tail! As previously mentioned, Laika was not quiet by any means, so it often sounded as if the entire room was being thrashed and rearranged. Despite this sometimes terrific noise, her ability to completely cover herself (as seen in the multiple accompanying photos) was nothing short of amazing.
Laika, like many terriers (I've been told), was very focused when she needed to be...especially when it involved some sort of task. Every time she started burrowing, the look on her face was of sheer determination. She would kneed and pat and dig with artistic flair, making sure that no part of her "canvas" remained un-thrashed! After being satisfied with the initial pass, she would then either circle within the blanket, thus creating a "dog nest," (see Photos 2 & 3) or flip the blanket over her body using her snout then wrap herself like a pitbull-rito. Finally, sighing heavily, she would immediately relax and drift off into dreamland as soon as her job was done! Did I mention that Laika loved being warm and cozy?
As noted in the last story, I never really had a bed of my own. Laika claimed it for hers early on. It was pretty easy to tell that "my" bed it was her favorite place to sleep during the day because I would constantly come home to find freshly made Laika "nests" on it. The precision with which they were made was always impressive and simply discovering them would make me smile and sometimes laugh-out-loud. It was odd, because she never used the same "nest" twice. If she woke up and moved, she would remake it before going to sleep again. Laika was obviously a perfectionist (or ritualist) in this regard.
A few times, I would be doing something in the house and she would somehow quietly burrow in the blankets in one of the other bedrooms or on the couch. She did such a good job wrapping herself that it was shocking to go looking for her and almost not see her. One specific occasion (many years ago) I had friends who played in a band staying with me. Laika was super excited to see them, but after lots of attention she got tired and retired to my room. About 30 mins later, one of my friend was walking past my room and decided to check in on Laika. I was quickly called to witness the scene. At first, I just saw a pile of blankets, but as I looked closer, I spied the itty-bitty the tip of Laika's brindle snout barely peaking out of the folds. It was breathtaking that she had managed to wrap herself so tightly and expertly. Luckily, there is photographic evidence of this masterful work! (see photos 4 & 5)
After discovering this amazing skill of Laika's, I started sleeping with more blankets on (or near) the bed. This was necessary, as she was both the Bed Hog and the Blanket Monster. She paid no heed to me when she started her burrowing. At times, she would just unwind the blanket from my body and leave me in the cold! Telling her "no" didn't really help at those points, so I would just have an extra blanket near the bed to cover myself. It was a good plan that rarely backfired...except on the off-chance that she wanted to build another nest! Still, in extremely cold weather, her roles as snuggler and bed-warmer were magnified by employing multiple blankets with her burrowing.
As usual, Laika's joy in making herself comfortable knew no bounds. She loved nothing more than lazing around on a bed or couch wrapped snugly in a blanket. It was her duty, it was her dharma; which she did happily with one-pointed focus...with her whole body...with her whole being. It was funny and inspiring to see her at work and then at complete peace, asleep and secure in the "nests" she would make for herself.
Photo 1. Blurry photo of mythical Blanket Monster.
Photo 2. The rarely seen dual blanket "nest."
Photo 3. Perfect specimen of "Laika nest."
Photo 4. Do you see Laika?
Photo 5. Strategically placed air hole in Laika's pitbull-rito.





No comments:
Post a Comment