Liaka's appearance as a full-brindle "pibble-lady" (thanks, Dr. Uri) was an endless source of compliments whenever I would walk her. As a youngster, it was good cover for her somewhat inconsistent behavior on walks. Yes, she would have anxiety/panic attacks, but apparently her beautiful patterning and wagging tail when she saw people she liked was a good way to fly under the radar of being judged too harshly by others, it seems.
Around the time Laika was a few years old, a small skin tag sprouted just below her nose on the left side of her face. As time went on, it got more noticeable until it finally started to get a bit irritated. At this point, it was one of her defining facial features, which I referred to as her "Cindy Crawford" beauty mark. Due to the irritation factor, I mentioned it at the vet during one of her regular appointments. Laika was apparently in need of some other treatment (I think it had was the removal of a gum epulis). So, they said they would cauterize the beauty mark as well, preventing it from coming back and get irritated.
Both treatments were successful. However, in a few months time, the "Cindy Crawford" returned. This time, it was not as big. I figured it was meant to be as it was now part of her lovely looks and it came back on its own accord. If a famous model could have a beauty mark, Laika could, too. So, I didn't make a big deal about it or mention it to the vet again. Laika continued the life of a brindle beauty queen.
About 4 years later, Laika needed some other surgery which required her to wear a cone during recovery.* The surgeon mentioned that she could easily remove the "Cindy Crawford" again if I wanted. Since this had become such a defining feature of Laika's appearance and it wasn't causing any problems, I said that I would rather not have it removed. She was already have surgery somewhere else, so why make her go through more.
Apparently, some wires got crossed and they did end up removing the beauty mark again. I was a little bummed when I picked her up, but it wasn't really worth complaining about. Laika, obviously, didn't seem to care. I've had a cauterized skin tag on my neck, and compared to stitches (which she had elsewhere), it was probably not as uncomfortable. So, Laika was again without one of her defining features.
Her face was pretty clear again for a few months, but one day I started to see her "Cindy Crawford" sprouting again. Laika's body was obviously determined to make her look like a model! (Sadly, her cancer was also as resilient.) Laika was back to looking like Laika. I missed the absence of the mark, since it was one of the reminders that no one is perfect, especially in appearance, and accepting what happens to the body without self-consciousness is key to happiness. Certainly, Laika lacked developed self-consciousness, as a result of birth, but it was nevertheless an important lesson. I've since not had some of my teeth "corrected," since, well, they function properly and are healthy. All of these imperfections are not part of my Self, they are just part of the body I'm in right now. As Laika's "Cindy Crawford" showed, imperfections will constantly reappear, but certainly contribute to our uniqueness and beauty.
*I think it was when she had a benign tumor in her ear, but I can't be sure. Too many surgeries! :(
No comments:
Post a Comment