Sunday, August 20, 2017

Story 13: Lover of Herbs & Tomato Pilferer

As previously told, Laika was vegetable- and fruit-centric in her love of food. She was a gourmand AND a glutton, but with a higher taste. When I was younger, my dad used to joke that our family dog Buddy loved to smell the flowers around the mailbox...most likely because they were marked by every other dog in the neighborhood. Laika, on the other hand, actually did like the finer scents of fresh herbs...and taste of on-the-vine tomatoes.

I will now present several supporting details to this postulation. I used to take Laika to play with my friends Chris and Steph's three brindle pitbull mixes (Carly, Cliffy and Shiloh) in their backyard. These three "pals" were a sight to see, given their very similar markings. When Laika and I first started going to their house, it was just her and Carly. Then, Cliffy came into the fold when he was adopted. Next, it was Shiloh, who didn't particularly get along with Laika but learned to tolerate her. The dogs' playing usually involved running around like lunatics, jumping, yelling and tearing up the yard.

After a few years, there was a new backyard addition: fresh tomatoes and herbs. Laika was immediately entranced. She would sometimes try (and succeed) to break into the fenced-in veggie garden (that also contained a few herbs as well). She would steal a tomato or two, munching on them happily after pilfering them. Given her less than graceful approach to the veggies, she would usually trample a few plants. This caused Chris and I great amusement, but resulted in a scolding for Laika and stronger fortifications for the veggies.

Around the same time I would also catch Laika stealing grape tomatoes from the plants behind my house. When I caught her chewing them, mouth full, I would ask, "Laika, what are you eating?" She would immediately turn, blank-faced and pause her chewing, as if to say, "I'm not eating anything." Even when I would inspect her mouth, she would masterfully hide the tomatoes under her tongue; continuing to munch happily after my inquisition. But, the evidence of the seeds in her poop was a tell-tale sign that she was eating them. (NOTE: Do not "secretly" eat things with seeds if someone else is picking-up after you.)

I should also mention that my backyard was kind of like a plant orphanage. I highly suspected that neighbors brought unwanted veggies and herbs to my yard under cover of night, thinking that I would take care of them. Needless to say, this meant that some wild, unknown, yet aromatic herbs were always growing. Laika would usually like to rub up against them after sniffing them, which produced very nice scents. I thought she might be enjoying these just as coincidence from her interest in all things with strong odors. However, back at Chris and Steph's house I was proven otherwise. That growing season, they had decided on maximum security for the veggies and no security for the herbs, putting them in pots along the fence. The first time Laika and I went over after this arrangement, she was immediately drawn to all of the herbs, sniffing around them happily. The fresh dill was her favorite, wagging her tail vigorously while enjoying their scent. She notified us of this love by immediately pooping all over them. Chris and I almost fell over laughing. Laika then went about her business with the aromas of the other herbs, not caring about the free fertilizing she had just offered the dill. (Chris and I promised not to tell Steph about this. I think she just heard about it recently, despite the action occurring 3 years ago or more).

This love of herbs continued until the end of Laika's bodily life. Our last day spent together, I could tell that Laika was not feeling well, but she was still trying her best to be with me and follow me around as usual. The day before, I had made some Indian food that I wanted to take to my friend Lynda, so I took Laika with me as they loved to see each other. Although stiff and not quite acting like full-on Laika, she spent a wonderful hour exploring Lynda's front yard, eating grass and, naturally, sniffing and rubbing against the potted herbs on the front porch. Laika seemed to be happier than she had been all day, spending almost 10 minutes with the various herbs. She finally settled-down next to me emitting the wonderful aroma of rosemary with a blissful smile on her face as we listened to the guitar music wafting into the night air from some hidden balcony across the street. The herbs seemed to have calmed her and made her swelling body feel more at ease. I was so happy that she was finally comfortable; sharing her strong presence (and pleasant odor) with Lynda and I!

The other day, I was shopping for herbs and spices at an Indian grocery store and suddenly felt Laika's absence so heavily. Yesterday, looking through the cupboard at my parents' house for ingredients to make salad dressing, I found a container of rosemary. Again, I missed her so much. In her honor, I added it to the mix. I am comforted that in these small actions, the flavor of Laika's unique joys will continue to live on in both my heart and cooking.


No comments:

Post a Comment