Laika was a tail-wagging machine. She basically propelled herself through life with her powerful posterior appendage. Many a shin was punished by the harmful side-effects of her happiness! In fact, her own tail was a casualty of itself.
One day, a few years ago, upon entering the house after work, an extremely happy Laika followed me around the house...just like any other day. However, instead of spreading sheer joy as I prepared to take her out, she was spreading a splattering of blood from the tip of her tail! Initially, I thought that I had cut my finger and left a small train of blood on the bathroom door, that, unfortunately, that was not the case. Given that the trail was Laika-height, I quickly deduced its grizzly source. She didn't seem bothered by it, like usual, but upon closer inspection the tip of her precious tail had a small egg-like lump that was starting to crack! I was very alarmed and immediately tried to wrap it with gauze, only to immediately have the gauze fly off as Laika refused to silence her tail. I tried in vain to keep wrapping it, with some success (Photo 1). For the next day or so, I could tell where she had been in the house by the light mist of blood left on the walls.
Due to Laika's body's propensity for growing benign and malignant tumors, the small bleeding bump worried me greatly. Additionally, I had found another lump on the side of her belly that might be cancerous. As a result, I acted quickly and took her into the regular vet as soon as possible (which took over a week because my mom was recovering from cancer surgery at that time). Another appointment and another fine needle aspiration for our fearless pup. And...the results were inconclusive for her tail-lump and confirmed as cancer for the other one! Mast cell cancer...again! It was just not fair. Regardless, Laika was also diagnosed with "happy tail," which is apparently a real condition that caged or crated tail-waggers can suffer from in the confines of their enclosures...or dogs with extremely powerful wags can get from hitting anything and everything with the tips their tails. The bleeding combined with the bump caused the vet to recommend surgery with possible removal of the entire tail! Laika had already sacrificed enough to various surgeries, so losing her rear wagger was not an option.
As we had already avoided removal of an entire ear, I thought it best to take Laika to see our favorite surgeon. So, we next went to see the wonderful Dr. Compton who had already preformed several miracles for us. After inspecting Laika, she recommended that only part of the tail be removed to make sure that margins around the "happy" tumor were sufficient; 2" would be sufficient and not affect Laika's natural arc. The other tumor was in an area that would be able to have regular margins. I was pleased to hear this news, especially as Laika's tail was her life and, as much as possible, needed to be preserved.
The surgery in both areas was successful, but her tail looked so sad! Not only had it been shortened, but it was also shaved several inches more...exposing a thin mousy-tail with many stitches (Photos 2 & 3). It must've been numb from anesthetic, because Laika's poor tail was also hanging limp! I was told the fur would grow back, but was cautiously optimistic because of Laika's still bald back from radiation. Combined with having to wear the soft-cone, Laika looked in sad shape. However, she was in her usual happy form, wanting to eat and parade around the house.
As the day went on, Laika's tail started motoring again. How would I be able to protect it from hitting the walls? I probably wouldn't, but that was ok because the sutures were apparently as strong as Laika's wag. Her good spirits not only inspired quick healing, but also fast fur growth! Within a week or so, most of the fur was sprouting and the incision look great. Laika, meanwhile, was back on the waggin' (good or bad pun?) and, aside from wearing the Comfy Cone was, again, bright-eyed (but not yet bushy-tailed).
The follow-up visit to the surgeon confirmed that everything had gone according to plan. The margins for both tumors were good and the tail-bump was found to be completely benign! Within a month, Laika's tail looked normal with only myself being the wiser about the missing 2". To the world, she was still a special, fashionable t-shirt-wearing pup...but, luckily, with a "full" tail! I was completely relieved that Laika's pride and joy was only shortened and not totally lost. Her emotional antenna still mostly intact, she was free to continue sharing her feelings with her genuinely happy tail!
Photo 1. Homemade bandage for Laika's "happy tail."



No comments:
Post a Comment