Monday, September 18, 2017

A Letter to Laika: 43 Days Apart

Laika,

Time keeps marching on, it seems. Nothing can stop it. Just when I thought I was getting used to being apart from you, constant reminders keep appearing. This past week, I received a very heartfelt gift from your friends and caretakers at PVSEC. It was a special book about lessons dogs have taught their guardians with personalized messages about you and all of your wonderful qualities written by Dr. Urie, Kelsey, Brianne, Erin and several other people who were greatly touched by your constant affection and courage. Every word made me cry, but also filled me with admiration for the care and love that they were able to share with you.

Their words both comforted me and reminded me of the void that was left behind when you passed from this bodily life. I now know with certainty that all of my actions, including the final decision to end your suffering, were done with compassion and respect for your well-being. Securing a pain-free existence was the goal of everyone who cared for you. You were a "cancer fighting rockstar" and I "never let you have a bad day" is what Kelsey wrote in her message. I know that this is the truth.

Being born can only result in dying, there is no other way...but leaving a legacy of inspiration and love is not something reserved for all those that have lived and died (time after time). You did all you could to ensure that you were always nothing short of amazing (in both good and bad). Not only did you enrich my life and those of so many people around me, but your willingness to be a super patient while courageously face treatment after treatment with the same wiggly excitement created opportunities for the hospital staff to learn how to better support other animals suffering your same illness.

Everyone misses your kisses and goofy enthusiasm. We are all still sharing the void created when you passed on. However, your beautiful memories and the positive effects of your spirited battle to survive will continue to live on and affect countless others.

We miss you. We love you.

Love,

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment