Dear Laika,
A lot has happened over the past weekend. I've had many emotions swirling because of memories that have been flooding back to me. On Friday, your wonderful friends who took care of you with endless heart and patience gave me some more precious gifts to remind me of you: a beautifully painted clay paw-print, an ink paw print and an ink print of your nose. The amount of love that went into these small, yet very significant mementos was nothing less than overwhelming. But, I am sure that this was nothing compared to the love that you gave and received from your support team each time you went to the hospital. Everyone there misses you, yet they have not forgotten your spirit and strength of will! No one who was blessed with your company could forget either of these things that you displayed just as prominently as your wagging tail!
Yesterday, my parents and I took some from your cremated body to offer into the cool waters of the river. It was a beautiful, sunny day. Not only were there plenty of geese and ducks in the river, but there was also a very excited pup swimming among the small waves nearby, playing fetch with his guardian. Everything about this scene was peaceful and full of love. It felt right to make this the day that your bodily remains were offered back to nature for the cycle of rebirth to continue. I know how much you loved to swim and I know that now the water will take you everywhere that it flows.
I am confident that your soul has passed-on by now; that you are truly free from pain and beginning a new life. I am also trying to renew my life without your endless support and love. Physically, I know we will never be together again; to have you try to lick the sweat off of my face after I work-out or to snuggle with me on the coldest of days. However, constant reminders will live on. Now, instead of simply words and photos, your spirit and influence will continually flow through time along with the powerful currents of the river. This water is life. Even through the loss of your body, water has continued to flow. Even through our painful separation, water has continued to flow. Sometimes cloudy and sometimes clear, but always present. This is how you will stay in my heart.
I wish your soul the greatest possible rebirth. I now know for sure that our chance meeting so many years ago was designed to enrich both of our lives. While I continue on, please know that each step bears the indelible mark of love and compassion that I learned from our time caring for each other.
I love you. I miss you dearly.
Love,
Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment