Sunday, July 22, 2018

Day 22: Back After a Long Absence

ขอโทษมากที่แอนดี้ไม่เขียนในบล็อกมานานมสกแล้ว ตั้งแต่ครั้งที่แล้วเกิดปัณหาสำหรับโทศัพท์และคอมพิวเตอร์ด้วย ทั้งสองเครื่องพังแล้ว สองอาทิต์ที่แล้วแอนดี้ไปซื้อมือถือใหม่ ชอบมากเพราะว่าตอนนี้ใช้บริการ Mobike ได้ หลังจากนั้นแอนดี้หาไม่เจอคอมพิวเตอร์ใหม่ประมาณ 5 วัน แต่ว่า 3 วันก่อนผมไปได้ซื้อคอมพิวเตอร์ Asus มา มันไม่แรงมากแต่ว่าผมชอบเพราะเล็กและใช้ให้สะดวกมาก

ตั้งแต่การเขียนที่แล้วแอนดี้ก็ย้ายมาห้องพักใหม่ ห้องแรกโอเครเฉยๆ แต่ว่ามียงเยาะๆ ภายในก็มืดมากๆด้วย ห้องพักใหม่ดีมากกว่า มันใหญ่กว่า สว่างกว่า แลก็มีวิวภูเขาที่สวยดี แอนดี้ดีใจแล้วที่ได้ย้ายมาเช่าห้องนี้

นอกจากนี้แอนดี้ก็ยุ่งเรื่อยๆ อาทิตย์แรกแอนดี้อยู่ที่เชียงใหม่ผมไปเรียนนวดไทยที่โรงเรียนอ่องแล้ว เรียนจบนวด Basic แล้วด้วย การเรียนที่นั้นสนุกมาก เพราะว่าครูทุกคนใจดี สอนให้ดี และเป็นคนตลกด้อย หลังจากเรียนจบพวกเขาชวนแอนดี้ไปฝึกนวดตอนเวลาให้สะดวกผม หวังว่าแอนดี้จะมีเวลาว่างเพื่อจะไปฝึกอีกหลายครั้ง ผมก็มีแผนไปเรียนนวดเท้าวันหวังด้อย

แอนดี้ก็ชอบไปฝึกมวยไทยเกื่อบทุกวัน ผมคิดว่ายิมที่นี้ดีมากๆ ครูฝึกทุกคนสอนให้ดี ชอบคุยกับพวกเขาด้อย แอนดี้รู้สึกว่าปีนี้ชกเก่งขึ้นแล้ว แต่ว่า 2 วันก่อนแอนดี้เหนื่อยมากๆ แล้วฝึกชกกับคนอื่นไม่ดีมากๆ สงสารแอนดี้จรืงๆ เมื่อวานผมพักผ่อนเพื่อให้ร่างกายผมหายได้ ผมจะไปฝึกอีกวันนี้ตอนบ่าย

แอนดี้ก็ว่าเริ่มไปเรียนภาษาไทยมี่โรงเรียน TSL แล้ว ผมเรียนชั้น Advanced ที่สุด ตอนแรกแอนดี้กลัวว่าไปเรียน เพราะไม่เคยเรียนหนังสือจริงๆ แต่ตอนนี้ไม่กลัวเท่าไหร่ ครูผมเป็นคนสนุกและใจดี และว่าเขาสอนเก่งมากๆ แอนดี้ดีใจว่าที่มีโอกาสเรียนด้วยกับเขา

แอนดี้สัญยาว่าผมจะเขียนบ่อยมากกว่า โดยเฉพาะการฝึกอย่างนี้จะช่วยให้ผมใช้ภาษาไทยเก่งขึ้นด้อย

Ok, so I am officially back in the saddle with writing in this blog. Due to a string of technological mishaps that left my Macbook Pro and Thai smartphone unusable, I was without the proper technology for writing posts until a few days ago. I think I could have maybe taken the laptop to be fixed, but given the fact that it was just rebuilt and was exhibiting pretty bad symptoms (such as randomly/continually restarting itself and running hotter than usual), I decided to just buy a new computer. I settled on an 11" Asus notebook that, while isn't super powerful, does everything I need it to do and is super light and easy to carry around. Not bad for like $240. I also got a new phone, which is nice, because I can actually use the bike sharing app Mobike, which means I can go out by bike and if it rains really hard, I can just leave the bike wherever and walk or take some other mode of transportation home. Not bad for around $8 for 3 months of bike use!

So, since the last post a lot of things have happened. I was in a funk with my Thai language (which is quite common for the 2nd week of my stay here), but in the last few days I have not only started taking an advanced-level Thai class but I have also been trying to converse a lot more. It helps that I made a new friend at the massage school who is a native Thai speaker and speaks very little English. So, it makes me have to become more comfortable with explaining things in Thai, or trying to at least. I still have like 5 weeks here, so I think with proper effort I will see great improvement.

Here are some highlights/random thoughts of the last two weeks:
  • I finished the Thai Basic Massage course at Ong's Thai Massage School a bit over a week ago. My partner was a sports therapist from Japan and he was wonderful to work with. I think studying with him was one of the main reasons that I did so well remembering the routine during our exam. I scored a 97% and after passing was told that I could return to the school anytime to practice. I've gone back a few times and helped other new students with parts of the Basic Massage routine. I still have yet to do the whole massage on anyone since my test, but I will try to go one day this week to practice with an instructor. I plan to take the foot reflexology massage course and the remaining 3 days of the Thai yoga before I return to the USA. I am glad I picked Ong's Massage School. Everyone there is very friendly, fun and professional. It is a great atmosphere to learn in.
  • I have been training a lot at the Muay Thai gym here. I have felt a lot of improvement over the last few weeks, but I have also learned my limits. After a few days of training hard, I need to take a day off. Last Thursday I did really well and felt really confident, but really tired. I made the mistake of going back the next morning and sparring with a very good French kick-boxer. His skills and control were amazing, but I had nothing in the tank and, thus, my performance reflected it. Kind of a bummer, which I am trying not to think too much about. However, I did pick up some things that would be good for me to work on from the skills displayed by my training partner. Sometime during the training, my lip got a little ripped by the velcro of a boxing glove. I hope it heals soon. I've been keeping it clean and putting ointment on it. I will go back to the gym today, though. I prefer mornings, because I am sometimes the only one there and get to train more or less privately. However, since today is Sunday, the earliest time is 2 pm.
  • The first place I stayed here wasn't so great. I mean, the place was clean and livable, but was kind of isolated, dark inside and had a lot of mosquitoes. So, I have relocated to a really nice studio condo in the area that I stayed in last year. The person I am renting from is an American who lives in China most of the year. He and his partner live on the same floor and he has been an excellent host. The room is large, bright and clean. It also has a balcony to hang laundry and stinkables from training as well as having a nice partial view of the mountains surrounding Chaing Mai city.
  • I've met some really cool people so far. In my language class are a retired Australian guy who is also vegetarian, a Canadian man and my friend Kim who I met last year. She is from Korea, but speaks many languages quite well. Her skills are impressive! I am happy that she asked me to join the class with her and the other two. I also randomly met an Israeli woman at a vegan restaurant and have since seen her randomly a few more times. She is very interesting to talk to, so I haven't had to dine alone as much! I've also met a Thai lady and her American boyfriend from the language school and we have hung out a few times and are planning more things for the future. Finally, I met the lady at the massage school (mentioned above) who is really fun to talk to.
  • At the massage school, I have been a "model"/dummy for several kinds of massage. It has been really interesting.The other day I got volunteered by the owner of the school to be a model for some upper level/teaching training massage that turned out to be...genital massage. It is not what one might think, as it is very clinical and based on Chinese medicine. Regardless, a nice middle-aged Japanese lady poked and prodded my bathing-suit area for about an hour. (Taken out of context, this seems like it could contain adult content!) I think if it were used for actual healing, it would have been a bit different, but the purpose of my modeling was more for the massage therapist to practice the routine and become familiar with the points to use. I keep almost forgetting that I did this, so I wanted to write it for the benefit/amusements of others.
I think there are some more things that I am obviously missing. But they will come back to memory sometime...if not, I guess they weren't necessarily remembering. I am looking forward to some more adventures...so I'll see what presents itself in the next few days and report back.

In the last few days I've gotten back into the habit of reading and I'm almost finished with Swami Tyganananda's book Walking The Walk. It is a really excellent and condensed presentation of Swami Vivekananda's theories on karma yoga and applications to practice. Karma yoga, in this respect, is about working selflessly or in service of the divine in all things. It is a way to refocus goals and motives on the path of dharma and doing good for the sake of good...not simply working for material gain, happiness or success. I really like the clear presentation in the book and it has given me a lot to think about and reaffirmed my faith in striving to do good regardless of recognition or thanks. I feel that this especially relates to the book about Hanuman that I finished on the way to Thailand, given that he is seen as the embodiment of devotion, selfless service and empathy. Combined with the healing methods I am learning in the massage school, I think I can find a good way to integrate all of these ideas and practices into my path each day from now on.

It is now 5:18 pm on Sunday July 22. I was supposed to go to train Muay Boran at a gym in Pai (in another Northern province) today, but canceled due to the dates being changed for my language class. The owner of the gym never emailed me back. Things change all the time on trips, so I am not sweating the monetary loss. I have more to learn here in Chiang Mai, it would seem. Over prepare and then go with the flow, right?

A temple dog at Wat Umong (tunnel temple) enjoying his favorite perch.

A photo of the author taken at a Ganesha shrine here in Chiang Mai. 

No comments:

Post a Comment