I am currently sitting in Chicago Midway Airport, waiting a few hours for my next flight to Seattle. I am excited to start off the trip with a few days visiting a friend and his family over the upcoming holiday. I have been told that the vegan food in Seattle is more than plentiful, so I am looking forward to sampling various things that Pittsburgh doesn't really offer. Plus, it will be nice to just chill with friends before heading off on the grueling 30-ish hour trip to Thailand early Thursday morning.
Since I've made this similar trip a number of times in the past, the excitement for the journey isn't as great as in the past. However, I am definitely looking forward to making the most of my travel time to read and relax before arriving in Chiang Mai. I have a lot of things planned to do after I get adjusted to my new surroundings (which are still somewhat fresh in my mind after staying there over 3 weeks last year). It will be good to reconnect with many of my friends there, while I start to learn new things like Thai massage and improving my language. (Subsequent posts will involve Thai write-ups, for certain).
On the way here to Chicago, I started reading a book explaining the context, history and practice of reciting the Hanuman Chalisa (a 40-line Hindu poem about the monkey-god Hanuman). As a devotee of Hanuman, it has been very interesting to delve deeper into the meaning hidden beneath the words. Having just finished MK Gandhi's "Vows and Observances," gaining understanding of various practices and how they can be integrated into life is at the forefront of my mind. I don't like to make overarching "success"-type goals for my trips, because, well, that is not how I operate...but, like most previous trips I will consciously work toward attaining a greater level of awareness through my various experiences; basically, trying to find meaning in all happenings and meetings (no matter how chance or random they may seem). So, learning more about Hanuman is a good way to start. He is the greatest hero and also greatest servant. Here is a picture of me wearing a Hanuman mask that a monk gave to me several years ago in Thailand:
In Pittsburgh, I found a cellphone that one of my flight-mates had left on their seat at the gate when they went to wait in line. They were very relieved that I found it and, as it turns out, he and his wife are returning home to Seattle. So, I will at least know someone else on my flights today! I feel like this is an auspicious way to start my trip, since at least if I misplace something, there is a good chance it will be returned to me!
The title of this post is going to be the credo for this trip (and life). It comes from a very fortuitous fortune cookie that I received last week...talk about words to live by. I can do this!
Thanks to everyone back at work who will be helping out in my long absence. I appreciate everything you will be doing.
Special thanks to my parents who helped me in the home stretch of moving and also constantly support my various journeys and travels (despite maybe not understanding my motives). I feel blessed to be so supported in all my endeavors.
p.s. - The internet in Chicago Midway was not so good, so I am now posting this in Seattle.
p.s. - The internet in Chicago Midway was not so good, so I am now posting this in Seattle.


No comments:
Post a Comment