Thursday, October 6, 2016

More Time in Ubon Ratchatani


Lapse in Posting! Apologies. Busy week. Lots of training, new friends and some downtime. Here are more thoughts, etc:

In the city:

I took a trip into the city of Ubon Ratchatani on the other day. It was pretty awesome. The city is smallish and boasts a riverfront along the Moon River (which is pretty swollen at this time due to rain). Everything in the city area is walkable and people are very friendly.

- There are lots of Buddhist temples here and most are very quiet. You can effectively chill there and meditate or relax as your heart desires. Quite the opposite of most of the larger Bangkok temples.

Wat Tai in Ubon is toward the top of my list of temples I've been to here. It has perhaps the largest menagerie of Buddhist statues I've ever seen in one small place.


- The 'Tesagan Gin Jay' or Vegetarian Festival are in full swing, so finding food is super easy. I got super cheap food at a sort of convention center place with live musicians and then got free food at a 'san jao' or Chinese-Thai social organization. I made some new friends at the san jao, too. Chinatown in Bangkok has a lot of these places that are usually part shrine (which lured me into this one) and also (apparently) part humanitarian foundation (as my friend Op explained to me after he invited me to eat there.) All throughout the Vegetarian Festival many places like this offer free food.

- My speaking has been steadily getting better (with lapses), but I still fear talking on the phone. Luckily, when I had to call for a taxi to get back to my hotel, the man on the street that I asked for help was able to explain where I actually was. I apologized to the taxi driver as I explained my fear of talking on the phone.


Training @ Lamnammoon Boxing Camp:

- Since Monday morning, I have trained 6 times at the camp. I will train again this afternoon. Bummed that it will be my last time, but it has been an awesome experience.

- My trainer/friend is trying to get me to change my stance and  to stop hesitating with my left kick. Progress is slow.

- I have blisters on all of my toes, about half of my toes are wrapped with tape. The carpet on the floor of the gym ruins your feet, but is better than concrete.

- My right elbow started to split, so I am just taping it and wearing long sleeves, so no one gets concerned about it.

- I will have run about 28 miles in 4 days, along with around 16 hours of Muay Thai training.

-I clinched with an 18 y/o Thai guy yesterday morning for 15 minutes and tossed him 3 times. On Monday evening, I got destroyed in clinching by an English guy, but he gave me some good tips.

- The owner of the gym keeps trying to convince me to fight for real, at some point. I keep telling him I am an English teacher and not a real fighter. He laughs and asks again later.

- It rained super hard yesterday and then got insanely hot. Then during evening training was really nice and cool. I think I lose about 4 lbs a day from sweating. In the few days I've been here, my body looks different.

- A 19 y/o Thai guy chased me with a giant beetle in his hand during our run the other day. It was terrifying, but pretty funny.

- Between Tuesday and Wednesday we ran our 11 km run 5 minutes faster. So insane.

- My friend dropped me off at the hotel after training yesterday morning, but I forgot my shirt and towel, so I had to walk back to get it.

- Training at a pro camp is not glamorous at all, but it is definitely the best training experience I've had in Thailand. I will come back, for sure. I can understand why this camp is so well-respected.

- The other guys at the gym are super nice. The non-Thai fighters are all skilled and don't have any ego when it comes to giving advice. A few of the guys have upcoming fights in Thailand, Cambodia and Hong Kong.

- I think I am older than the oldest pro by about 8-10 years.

- Kru Yo (Ajarn Lamnammoon) is pretty amazing. He runs a great camp and is there to make sure things run smoothly. He can just look at someone shadow-boxing or hitting and pretty much correct their form and assess their strengths immediately. His interactions with everyone seem to be constructive and professional, but also like a stern older brother who is a master of his art. In short, he is a great person who cares for his students' well-being and personal improvement for both them and the reputation of the camp.

- No running this morning due to rain...kind of bittersweet, as I was mentally prepared for it, but physically probably didn't need to push it. I did bounce on the tire for 40ish minutes, so i guess that makes up for it.

Daily life:

- There is an outdoor vegan restaurant right near my hotel. The ladies who work there are all amazing and we have become friends. We have taken a lot of photos together and they constantly make sure I have enough to eat and will not let me pay for everything. I am grateful for their friendship and kindness. They have insisted that I return next year!

- I can't tell if there is a problem with the a/c in my room, or if my skin is just hotter from sunburn and brush burn from clinching.

- Laundry at the hotel is almost $1 per piece! So I bought a basin and detergent and have been laundering my clothing at a fraction of that cost. Probably $1.50 total for 3 washings!

- I have had a lot of time to hang out in the hotel room, which has actually been much-needed. This trip has been a good mix of socializing, solitude, reflection and physical exertion.

Tomorrow morning, back to Bangkok...

No comments:

Post a Comment