
English only today :-( Will type Thai on the plane tomorrow.
I felt like I had a lot of astute observations that I wanted to write about, but right now a bunch of them are slipping my mind. Maybe this will alleviate some unnecessary details. Regardless, here goes:
Interpersonal relationships:
- People cancel plans all the time. This isn't a big deal, but when they randomly become free and I already have plans, they seem to be bummed.
- I think it will be good to go away for a week. I usually operate with little expectations of others, but that seems the opposite with everyone else. As a grown adult, I can fully appreciate the complete generosity of others, but I don't think I understand the accepted way to show it sometimes. Maybe someone should just tell me and it would be easier for everyone?
Training:
The gym has been awesome (aside from this morning, which was my worst training so far...headaches are not a training enhancer).
I've been clinching and sparring with a guy who has an upcoming fight and its actually been going pretty well. He is from Belgium and I guess is used to K-1 rules (no elbows and clinching), so it has been good for both of us. I think he will do pretty well in his fight. I am coming back from Ubon on Friday morning, so I can be there to see it.
The trainers are all really good and the rest of training has been hard. My legs are sometimes dead, but I think 10 days in this has happened the past two years. I just hope I get a little life in them when I go to Ubon to train tomorrow. Regardless, stoked to see my old trainer.
Transportation:
- If you are not Thai, buses won't stop for just you.
- Being a ticket-taker must be a stable job. I recognize the same people from 2 years ago and some of them remember me. Pretty cool.
- Riding in a shared van is the most terrifying form of transportation.
- Buses with no a/c are really not that bad.

Temple trip:
A friend took me to a temple in Nakon Phatom yesterday. It was really beautiful. There were lots of women there that are not nuns, but renunciants of some level with administrative and managerial positions (Thai Buddhism has no nuns due to rampant sexism.)
The temple had Buddhist, Hindu and Chinese shrines. Lots of people were there making merit and getting things blessed by the monks. Many people were carrying around what I thought were children, but were actually creepy dolls called Angel Dolls. I guess there is a belief that they are imbued with spirits and should be treated as people. My friend did not understand why I thought they were absurd/weird. It then became a game for me to identify real children being carried. Sadly, it was not as easy as I thought.
The head "mae chi" (renunciant lady) invited my friend and I on a walking meditation retreat that night up a mountain in some other province, which at first seemed like something I didn't want to do, then something I did want to do. Then someone explained that the times were different than initially stated and I wouldn't have arrived home until 4 am. So, I didn't go.
Fast forward a few hours through ladies trying to convince me to become a monk for a month, which I told them maybe 2 days and I got to meet the abbot of the temple. He is a very charismatic guy and only around 43 years old. My friend introduced me to him and another monk and when they found out I could speak Thai they were pretty stoked. I told them that I love Thai language and culture and my friend told them that I love Hanuman, especially.
What happened next was insane. The abbot called out into the abyss about a Hanuman Khon mask (the kind wore in traditional Thai drama) and one was produced in the time that it took for the assistant to bless two handbags. The mask was put on my head and blessings were chanted. Then... I was given the mask as a gift! My mind was blown. Photos were taken with the monks and probably posted on the temple facebook page. My friend insisted that this was a momentous event and that my luck is incredible. I am still in disbelief, honestly. Just another day. lol
On the way back home I had to carry the mask on its wooden holder while riding in the back of a motorbike through some semi-rural areas. I got some surprised looks, for sure. I can completely attest to the fact that the mask ensured our safe trip home. My friend I am staying with seemed nonplussed that it was in her condo. I just hope it doesn't meet the same demise as the leg lamp from a Christmas Story while I am away. Since it is like "a major award."
No comments:
Post a Comment