Thursday, August 7, 2014

อีกอาทิตย์

Another week... apologies for the delayed entry. I have been super busy going around and doing things that I sort of lost track of time. Last Friday, some of my good friends from the USA via the UK arrived in Bangkok. It has been awesome to hang out with friends that I haven't seen in a few years. We've gone out and had some meals with a few new friends as well. This city is starting to feel like home, which is weird because I've not even been here for 3 weeks. Ha. It must be the fact that I have some new and some old friends here. Not sure, but at this point, not a feeling that needs to be analyzed.

This past weekend, I went out to a few cool markets. P'Liang brought me to JJ Market, which boasts 15,000 sellers, and is only open on the weekends. It was pretty insane. Tons of people and tons of things to look at. It is pretty much the equivalent of 20 US flea markets, but with lots of new items and a huge variety of food for sale. I purchased some gifts for friends and loved ones there. If you are ever in Bangkok, it is not to be missed. After that, we went to MBK to meet the aforementioned friends from the UK and ate awesome food at the food court there. (This food court, called Food Island, is my new obsession. For about $3 US, one can eat like a king. It is on my daily route now, as the Skytrain from the gym to there is quick and cheap!)

On Sunday, D, J and J's two daughters took me to the floating market at Lamphaya, which is about 45 minuets outside of Bangkok. It was an awesome excursion. The area around there is beautiful and the temperature cooler than in the city. We took a boat ride on the river to another temple and then to a historic home-stay, that is pretty much like a bed and breakfast, but without the breakfast part. I didn't really see beds either, so maybe I'm wrong on all accounts. Regardless, the boat was fun. Also, at the market I think I ate my weight in Pad Thai, which was pretty awesome. I now have the nickname Mr. Pad Thai. I'm OK with that. On the way home, I think I fell asleep, which was funny, as it occurred moments after I was making fun of J's daughters napping. I blame the Pad Thai and the heat for my lil' nap. Lol. Later in the evening, I went to temple with D for chanting and meditation. After the fiasco at the meditation center, this was a breath of fresh air. I really like this specific temple close to the house.

I can't really remember what I did on Monday, I'm pretty sure it involved the gym and some shipping, so I'll spare the details.

On Tuesday, I met Maple and we walked around Siam Center/MBK shopping areas. It was great fun and she showed me the famous Pra Prohm shrine, which was full of people, traditional music and dancing. Apparently, by burning incense, offering flowers and praying, your wishes will come true. I was game, so I paid for the flowers and incense, about $1, and made my wishes. There were also traditional dancers that could be paid per minute to offer dances to Pra Prohm. Pretty cool! The music was great. I've seen similar at the Ganesha/Vishnu shrine near the house, but this one was definitely way more crowded.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were pretty action-packed. Lots of exploring and shopping for gifts. Honestly, this city is awesome. I feel like I am guaranteed to see something interesting regardless of my mode of transportation. Actually, taking taxis are the best. My conversation skills are improving, so talking with cabbies has allowed me to learn about certain parts of the city as well as the ever-important category of random information. Of note, I rode a tuk tuk for the first and last time and I played football in some weird adult league with my friend P'Liang. I can safely say I was the worst player, but it was still fun!

I also went to the Pra Market a few times, which is a few streets lined with tons of vendors of amulets that people are crazy about. It is pretty much like a record/comic convention, with people closely inspecting the condition of each and every amulet, even the ones that are in the cheap bins. I scored some cool-looking ones and picked-up a bunch of Hanuman amulets to give to my trainers/friends at the gym. I gave one to Kru Chris the other day and he was really excited/emotional about it. It made me happy to see the reception. Hanuman's likeness is very coveted by fighters and protectors, and I thought it was perfect for everyone at the gym that has made me feel welcome, despite the obvious disparity of skill levels.

The gym is awesome. I have learned so much. I was actually offered an amateur fight here in Thailand by the owner of the gym and the head trainer, which is pretty flattering. However, I am: 1) not sure if I would really want to fight and 2) will not physically be in Bangkok at the time of the fights, thus making my opinion on the matter moot, anyway. I have been working hard at the gym and have actually been pacing everyone for the mooring runs that we do. Feels good, since I am about 10 years older than the fighters here!

Alright. I am going to end this entry now. I have some plans for the next week, so I'll write an update soon, hopefully.

View of the Pra Prohm shrine near Central World shopping center.
View of Wat Pra Keaw at night, with tuk tuk.

No comments:

Post a Comment